I got tired of buying the jars of alfredo with all of the salt and added calories, not to mention preservatives (seriously, check the back label). So I got a basic recipe online and tailored it to my tastes and it’s so stinkin’ good! I have not bought the jarred stuff since. You can even dial up the garlic and do less parmesan and it magically turns into a garlic cream sauce! I love things that easy and can be repurposed into something new that is equally delicious. You can use this on top of breaded chicken (like I did in the photo below) or throw in some cooked shrimp or chicken and pour on top of pasta for an amazing alfredo dish.
The only downside is you do have to let it simmer for a while to cook down and get thick and delicious. I start my sauce first and then make my pasta or protein. By the time the other stuff is done then the sauce should be about done too. Be careful when you re-heat as well. A microwave will cause the butter and cream to separate and it’s gross, so reheat slowly in a pan on the stove. This recepie will serve about 4 people as a sauce to top over something or one large pasta dish. Double up if you need more. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does!
- 1 16 oz. carton of heavy cream
- 1 stick of butter (use 1/2 stick if you don’t want it as delicious and creamy)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic (you can use the jarred kind if it’s easier)
- Pour all of cream into a medium size pot on medium heat.
- Throw in the butter, parmesan cheese, Italian Seasoning and garlic.
- Stir every few minutes or it will begin to burn on the bottom.
- Let it cook down for 20 minutes or more, depending on how thick you want it. Be sure to stir every so often and turn down the heat if it starts to boil, we just want a simmer where little bubbles are coming to the top.
- The white sauce will turn to an off-white color and get really thick when it’s done.
- Taste it to be sure the cheese-seasoning-garlic ratio is to your liking and you are done!
Let me know if you tried it and how you liked it! I love throwing this together and it really tastes so much better than the jarred stuff, plus, you actually have real ingredients going into it.